We went to a funeral this morning. It is not my habit to attend funerals. Usually, at the most, I will go to the viewing, but this was a little different. She was old and her family is small and reclusive. They just needed support. I was grateful Scott came with me. I guess I needed support, too.
For the record, when I die, my funeral had better not be longer than 30, 40 max, minutes. I want a song, a prayer, a heartwarming "Praise the Lord" talk, followed by a reasonable amen. There's no need to torture everyone into a death wish with a breathy funeral.
It's late. I'm tired, but it's a good tired. Several sisters and their families dropped in for dinner, and we all went bowling. Scott didn't bowl, but I'm so glad he felt good enough to come.
Monday, January 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Dear Scott and Brenda,
It is early and Lily just got up to shower before school. She will be oh surprised that due to snow and slick roads she has a 2 hour late start for school. Now maybe she will practice her piano!
We are doing fine, meaning no abnormal events, just the regular stuff. It sounds like in spite of everything there has been good in every day for your family.
My 6 year old told per primary teacher that when we were in Hawaii we did not go to church because all the people were brown. We DID go to church and it was one of the highlights!! I kept the program to scrapbook. Where ever did that comment come from? The teacher then shared this comment at a family dinner, at which was a couple who had adopted two latino boys. I could not believe that this family really believed what Clara said. Needless to say we had a talk at dinner about accepting others followed by a FHE on we are all children of our Heavenly Father regardless of our skin color.
Well I hope this new day proves to be a day to remeber!! Take care, with all my love, Em and family
lots and lots of laughs.......lots
thank you
Good idea! I think I'll write my own life-sketch, too, as those are always way tooooo long!
My dad had fun planning out his funeral arrangements, believe it or not, which got me thinking about what I want done (like a multimedia production of my life from home movies put to my favorite songs and playing on a jumbo-tron in the funeral parlor).
But seriously, I really like what he had put on his headstone: "Flights of angels sing thee to thy rest" from Hamlet. Now I need to find a cool Shakespearean quote, too--I'd like to start a tradition! :)
Post a Comment