I'm not crazy. I was feeling crazy, but figured it out: I have post-transplant depression. Post-transplant depression feels exactly like postpartum depression, minus the third day engorgement. I'm so very grateful not to be lactating, but the fatigue is exactly the same; it doesn't matter how much I sleep, I'm still exhausted; noise is amplified; my head hurts; I'd love to just toss the man that kept me up all night out the window.
Once I recognize it for what it is, I can deal with it; stop/drop/roll until it goes away. It always goes away..............
at least I hope it will; after all, this is my first time with PTD...............
please, Lord, let it be the only time with PTD.
It was great fun to go to clinic. Gone are the, "Sucks to be you.", visits; everyone's thrilled to see Scott doing so well. They increased his pain meds; hopefully, we'll get a better grip on that party.
M is at girl's camp. She was so excited to go, she made Kathy drive her to the church early, expecting to be left alone to wait. I would imagine she's well entertained.
I've been talking to N on the phone. She doesn't want Scott's surgical staples as a souvenir; she wants a pet. I told her cats and dogs are out of the question with Scott's transplant (not entirely the truth, but......), so she's exploring the fish tank with bubbles option to go with her frog........ we'll see.
JA just sobs when I talk with him on the phone. My first instinct is to pull him down here with me, but there's no way I can handle anything more than the current bare minimum. Perhaps, a change of scenery would help...... we'll see about that, also.
C is C. She is playing at Malia's, tomorrow. She's pretty easy going; it doesn't take much to keep her happy.
All in all, I think the kids have done pretty well considering the chaos of the last year. I am saving up and looking for a group discount for their therapy. There's been plenty of fuel to warrant it.
I wonder if anyone specializes in post-transplant trauma, PTT.
I wonder if the grandparents will need to get in on those sessions.
Wednesday, June 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Even though I cannot pretend to understand how difficult this past year has been for you and your family...I feel for you... and all that you are still experiencing day to day. Through it all, you have retained a sense of humor and you are an aware and caring mom. I am thankful for you.
AH...PTD..is that what that is called ;-)
It does get better...Time..just takes some time. It is overwhelming to say the least. Although it is a remarkable experience it truly takes a toll on the caregiver that few will ever understand.
You are a remarkable woman Brenda and it shows. Scott is doing so well and I am thrilled! Blessings all around!!!
This to will pass. Time is a funny thing. In a few months you will be home with those wonderful spirits in childrens' bodies. Scott will be back to work and you will be wondering what you can make for dinner that takes as little preparation as possible yet tasty.
It is what it is. After such an all consuming year in waiting for a transplant and now it is done...the questions remains what do I do now? In part you sit back and take it one day at a time and start planning, dreaming,and living your life again. And when the situation calls for it please for all concerned stop/drop/and roll. With much love Em and family
Post a Comment