"I named her Lazy Daisy because she doesn't move around like all the others, and cheep all the time........ and when I hold her, she doesn't move much............. and there's a bunch of poop on her bum....... but she's my favorite because she is the fluffiest, and the prettiest out of the 4 yellow ones."
So, I did my best to unplug the little, lethargic chick, but she still died this morning. Naomi was devastated, sobbing; praying for her to come back. I cried for Naomi's broken heart, and maybe just a little for an adorable, lifeless chick.
It was a very good call not to get meat birds. If a one-day attachment yields this much emotion, I do not want to see what would happen on a mass, carnage day where the feathers fly. Naomi is so very close to being a vegetarian, anyway, on the grounds of, "Animals are people, too." I don't think she could ever eat chicken enchiladas knowing it was filled with Eagle, Stripey, or Stormy. And maybe, neither could I.
The funeral has been postponed to this afternoon. Naomi wants to do it properly with a labeled rock, and in a special place by the coop. You're all invited to join us for a moment of silence around 4:30 for the day-old chick, Lazy Daisy.
Thursday, April 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
It's more cost efficient to have laying hens anyway--eggs are expensive, and chicken meat a whole lot cheaper than you can even begin to raise them. (And I doubt that the chickens bought for eating have been named) Good plan. Sorry about the chick. I'm sure there is a heaven for all creatures.
Mom
Poor Lazy Daisy, Are they living in your kitchen?
Oh the days of chickens and eggs.
I love that you got banties. They are the coolest and lay the best tasting little eggs!
I didn't know Naomi was such a tenderling. What a sweet big heart.
Post a Comment