Sunday, May 17, 2009

Yesterday, we separated the does from the little buckling who I thought was too young for such aggressive behaviors. The mother goat has been bleating ever since, and I thought it was because she missed him. But no, it took me till tonight to notice her milk bags were tight, and she was desperate for relief. Here, I thought he was all weaned.

Scott will have nothing of it in any way, but we milked Ginger and it was great fun. The kids were amazed. Even Mindy from next door got in on it and did well for her first try. No one is keen on drinking the milk. I wonder if we will get enough to make cheese or butter.

Hmmm...... we could make soap. I wonder if Scott would use goat soap.

7 comments:

Valyn said...

do you want baby rabbits? we have 2 hairless little ones fighting for survival. I'll let you know if they make it... because you could use more animals in your back yard right?

Brenda B said...

Can you milk them? If you can milk them, I might consider it.

EmHy said...

You know goats milk is supposed to be very nutritional. Did anyone try the milk? Maybe I will have to come down and see how it tastes. Hey You could start selling the milk, maybe Beverly would want to make goat cheese.

Brenda B said...

We are getting about a cup each milking, and she stepped in it both times. I think where she was weaning the buck off she might just naturally be making less milk. If we are consistent though maybe she'll make more. At least the kids/children are learning how to milk which is fun.

Valyn said...

you can milk anything with teats.

Lost Woman said...

Teats yes, but does one want to milk the rabbit?

Brenda B said...

I'm joking. No, I don't want rabbits... especially milking rabbits.