Wednesday, February 18, 2009

I've had worse days, but not many.

So, they were able to put the stent in the artery, but then the artery dissected, meaning the inside layer of the artery split off, creating a flap that cut off the blood supply to Scott's liver. This is bad, very bad.

So, the transplant surgeons have thawed out a cadaveric artery they happened to have in the freezer next to the peas, and are doing a bypass surgery of sorts as we speak. If they are unsuccessful, Scott will be re-listed for transplant, get the next available liver not matter what shape it is in, and he will be fine.

Any questions?

Adele and I have a room at the University Guesthouse, because it is going to be a very long night, and I can't barbarically eat a whole chicken in the surgical waiting room, barefoot and without a bra. Trust me, it's better this way.

The nurse will call me every two hours, and the Dr will call me personally when he finishes.

I have never seen surgeons so somber. Pray for them.

3 comments:

mitchowl said...

Aunt Fay and I send hugs to you. I'm thinking you probably need them, huh?

EmHy said...

Brenda, We are so sorry! We will pray really hard for you and Scott right now! Hopefully the artery transplant is successful. Sending our love.

Lost Woman said...

Love and prayers.