Saturday, December 15, 2007

bitter-sweet potentials

December 17, 2005, we had a kitchen fire. It was a blessing because, as one friend put it, "It was such an ugly kitchen, it deserved to be burned." So, it was a bitter-sweet experience that involved gutting and remodeling not only our kitchen, but both bathrooms. The remodel is still slowly spreading out to the rest of my homely house.

December 17, 2006 was also traumatic. JA started having seizures at bedtime. Coupled with his severe headaches, I had graphic imaginations of inoperable tumors. Luckily, they turned out to be benign rolandic seizures. If you have to choose a type of seizure for your child to have, I would recommend this type; they are not harmful, respond to medication, and go away at puberty.

December 17, 2007 is Monday. It holds the greatest bitter-sweet potential of the three. I'm a little anxious, and actually hoping a bit that we don't get the call until after Christmas. I think it would be better for the kids, and I hate thinking that our donor family will be grieving during the holidays.

I never considered that we would be still waiting. In my mind, I had scheduled Scott's transplant for September, and that he would be going back to work in January. Bummer.

Anyway, we are hanging in there. Scott is tired but ok. He stops the chemo next Friday, which will give us the week of Christmas off of chemo before he starts again.

No comments: